Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Vegetable Soup and Sandwich Combo


I got onto the scale this morning ,big mistake( lol). I can't believe I gained 13 pounds since the summer. I worked so hard, zumba class by zumba class melting the pounds away. I swore, Id never gain it back again. You think it's easy working around food all day? OMG it is tortoreous(lol), but I'm hooked because I love what I do. It's, a cold day in New York and it's winter break so tons of kids are home this week. Its a perfect day to make a hearty vegetable soup, packed with vitamins and nutrients. Serve it to your family for dinner presented in an oversized coffe mug with perhaps a home made panini, pressed sandwich, or classic grilled cheese on the side.

Ingredients


2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup chopped onions
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup diced, peeled carrots
1 cup canned white beans
3/4 cup diced celery
1 teaspoon dried basil or 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
1 28 ounce can plum tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni



Directions

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add chopped onion and cook for 4 minutes or until just lightly browned.
Add stock, tomatoes, carrots, beans, celery, basil, oregano, salt, pepper and garlic.
Bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer on medium-low heat for 20- 25 minutes
Add macaroni; cover and cook an additional 10 minutes.
Serve hot.


No comments:

Post a Comment