Monday, February 1, 2010

Italian Wedding Soup..an oldie but a goodie


Last night I had some friends over for dinner. It was a last minute thing. I had no time to go to the supermarket so I had to think quickly on my feet. When you are a caterer you get used to thinking that way. Well, I had the ingredients to whip up the Italian classic, "Wedding Soup". I served it in over sized bowls with warm Italian bread and butter. My guests loved it so much that I have decided to offer it on our cafe menus at our Long Island and Manhattan venues. This soup is delicious, healthy , and hearty. The recipe below includes meatballs as the main protein,however, feel free to add chicken or white beans or both to the mix.

Italian Wedding Soup


24-36 meatballs fully cooked (mini)
1 1/2 quarts chicken stock
1 1/2 quarts beef stock
3 stalks celery
3 carrots
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound spinach, chopped
1 egg
1/2 cup orzo or acini de pepe
Romano cheese to taste

Directions

In a stockpot combine stock, celery, carrots, and onion; Simmer 1 hour.

While the stock is simmering,make your meatballs.

Bring the liquid back to a boil and add meatballs. Simmer until meatballs are cooked. Approximately 8 minutes before its finished add the pasta. Approximately 2 minutes before its finished add the spinach .

Beat remaining egg and pour slowly into soup, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and serve.
Add Romano cheese to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment